Thursday, November 15, 2007

Books and Books.

I've read a lot of books in the last two and a half months. I'd be interested in knowing what people's favorite books are and why.

Some of my favorites from the recent batch of books have been: Jane Eyre, In Cold Blood and The Grapes of wrath.

I loved Jane Eyre because it turned my idea of the victorian novel on it's head. This book is pretty dark. The story starts with a pretty horrific scene of abuse (although not nearly as graphic or degrading as you might see today) and picks up from there. Certainly not the comedy of manners that I was expecting.

In Cold Blood was another book that I enjoyed because of its dark qualities. The way that Capote makes you feel sympathy toward a psychotic gives the book a feel of menace and of tragedy.

I first read The Grapes of Wrath when I was 17 years old. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed this book the first time around. Steinbeck has a way of writing characters that really resonate. I think the man just knew people, and he found nobility in even the poorest and most pathetic of them. Even in his more comic novels like Cannery Row you see this.

Not only do I want a discussion, I want some ideas of what I might read when I'm not in school and have some time for recreational reading. Please leave Comments.

10 Comments:

Blogger johnnyanne said...

I thought your favorite book was My Antonia?

November 16, 2007 at 5:21 AM  
Blogger Em-Cat said...

Matt loves girly books!!! Jane Eyre and My Antonia??? You must be very secure in your masculinity. The Scarlet Letter is one of my favs and of course the adventures of Hucklberry Fin. If you like the girly stuff, I'd recommend Pride and Prejudice. Robbie LOVED the Count of Monte Cristo.

November 16, 2007 at 8:23 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Of course Matt loves girly books. He was a fan of The O.C. ;-)

Pride and Prejudice is a great book (but you have been reading that for class right?), and I do love Count of Monte Cristo. But my favorite books aren't the highly intellectual books that you all love. I could read Memoirs of a Geisha over and over and over, as well as Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood, and Neal A. Maxwell is never a bad read.

You know what book I loved in High School? Of Mice and Men. You should read that.

November 16, 2007 at 9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't let the girls harass you Matt. One of my favorite books is not really a girly book. I love The Great Gatsby. I listened to it with Mom & Dad on our trip to California again and I loved it for the third time. F Scott Fitgerald has a great power of description and symbolism. I also love Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice. I think you might like Gone with the Wind. It's not just a girly novel. It teaches you a lot about the Civil War and what the people were like at that time.

November 16, 2007 at 11:49 AM  
Blogger Em-Cat said...

Have you read "To Kill a Mocking Bird?" It's a great read as well.

November 16, 2007 at 12:00 PM  
Blogger Wilfjord said...

I just want to clear the air here. I HAVE read pride and prejudice and am proud to say that I quite enjoyed it. Sadly (or is it happily?) I've read most of the books that you all mentioned. I'm getting ready to read the great gatsby again. I didn't like it the first time around. Maybe this time it will be better.

November 16, 2007 at 8:34 PM  
Blogger Wilfjord said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 16, 2007 at 9:05 PM  
Blogger Wilfjord said...

Em. I forgot to mention before that I've never read "To Kill a Mockingbird" Before. I think I'll give it a gander over the christmas break. I did see the movie though, I think I remember it being really good. Didn't Peck win an oscar for that?

November 16, 2007 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger Em-Cat said...

something like that...but I never saw the movie. I've just read the book a few times.

November 17, 2007 at 1:52 PM  
Blogger naomi3 said...

You just read Jane Eyre? It is very dark, but very good. My kids didn't care for it though.

I must be the only blog that can't figure out how to link up to everyone else's blogs.

Good to see you online!

November 20, 2007 at 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home